Energistics to become affiliate of The Open Group
Geothermal energy - understanding the business case
. While geothermal energy seems unlikely to make a big change to the world energy system, it also offers too much potential to ignore. Our webinar on Jul 9 studied the business case for geothermal energy developments.
Speakers included John Leggate, Independent Energy Transition Advisor and board member of renewable energy Companies ; Zammy Sarmiento, a geothermal consultant based in Manilla; Karl Farrow, CEO, CeraPhi Energy Ltd, and former operations director, Petrofac; and Greg Coleman, CEO, Future Energy Partners, a former VP HSSE with BP.
- There is growing buzz in the industry about the Open Subsurface Data Universe (OSDU) project. We heard more about what it is, how to work with a commercial provider, and how Energistics’ standards are used in it, at a SPDM forum
Data formats within OSDU
- It can be confusing that while OSDU is a standard data platform, it is not a standard data format, but makes use of standard data formats which already exist. Energistics’ Jay Hollingsworth explained more
How data management roles are evolving
- UK industry body Oil and Gas UK (OGUK) commissioned Robert Gordon University (RGU) in Aberdeen to make a survey and report on how the role of data professionals is changing, and the status of digitalisation in the industry. It was asked to put together a digitalisation skills development road map
- open access to public subsurface data
- building Version 2.0 on OSDU
The Open Group Open Footprint Forum
, a project to develop a standard digital environment for industrial emissions and other environmental data, has strong oil major support and is developing its first product. Here are the latest developments, presented in a June online event
Ready to move software to the cloud?
Oil and gas specialist IT managed service provider ISN Solutions shares advice on making the move.
Citizen software development in oil and gas
- Citizen Development, the idea of domain experts such as petroleum engineers getting involved in software development - is gaining traction. We discussed what might be possible with hydrocarbon processing digital technology company Validere
How asset management technology is evolving
- including sensors for condition monitoring, data management and analysis tools, software for overall asset management, and late life assessment. ABB explained its latest developments
Making it easier to close a BOP
- The decision of when to close a blow out preventer (BOP) in drilling is very difficult, and there is a risk of rams closing around a tool joint in the drill string and not making a proper closure. Aramco is developing technologies to improve this.